It's been about one and a half months since I became unemployed. I'm working
through four different consulting agencies that get my resume out to the local
businesses. However, there is a limited supply of jobs in the area right now,
and not too many jobs that haven't already been farmed out to lower wage Indian
firms. I probably won't have a full time job for a while, so I'm getting used to
not spending money and living cheaply. I've learned a few things over the last
few weeks that may help others in my situation:
- You get really sick of eating EZ-Mac after about one week. However, cereal
becomes OK for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hamburgers don't need
- For a $2.00 beer, you can get a "free" meal during happy
- You can get a free meal from the samples tray at the deli counter.
- It's very easy to change your schedule to go to bed at 5:00 AM and wake up
at 3:00 PM
- Your friends do not appreciate you calling them at 3:00 AM
- Cheap beer is not worth the savings, you'll just drink 3 times as much,
then ask yourself why you drank that swill and never caught a slight buzz
- When you run out of sugar, go to McDonald's and buy a $1.00
double-cheeseburger, fill the bag with sugar from the condiments station,
ignore the Ronald sitting on the bench that seems to be watching you. This
also works for ketchup, salt, and pepper.
- Your electric company can not shut off electricity, since your water comes
from a well and they are required by law to keep it on if you would die
otherwise (this takes a bit of social engineering to convince them of the
- There is no need for two phone lines, call waiting, etc. However, when you
cancel the line you don't need, the phone company (SBC) will screw it all
up, cancel the wrong line, switch your lines, "forget" to cancel
all the extra toys, attempt to charge you for this hassle, try to sell you
DSL, and generally ruin an entire day of your unemployment vacation.
- The gas company will never cancel your account, they will even call you up
to tell you that, "Although you owe us money we just want you to know
we aren't going to shut off your service." I have no idea why, but they
are very lenient about non-payment, so I sent them $3.46 just for the hell
- McDonald's double cheeseburgers should be reheated for one minute 20
seconds on top of a McDonald's napkin in the microwave at "dinner
plate" setting. This and a beer is a meal.
- There's lot's of places online to order free samples. I may try to live
the entire month of August off of this.
- No one buys you anything from your wish
So today I paid some bills. Everything was put on a charge card. I hope they
don't cancel that one. For anyone that's wondering, the Dog(tm) doesn't know
he's unemployed as well. He's eating better than I am, never scrimp on your dog!
The only change in his life has been adjusting to my new daily schedule. I've
also been taking him out for rides in the truck a lot more, he seems to think